“Freedom of
expression is the matrix, the indispensable condition, of nearly every other
form of freedom.”
~Benjamin Cardozo
Freedom
How can I test
myself?
The world will test me,
Over and over again,
And it will tell me sometimes
That I am free,
Sometimes,
That I am not.
But, how can I test myself?
How can I test for freedom within?
The indispensable condition for freedom
Is change, freedom of change,
Freedom to change and freedom from change.
Nearly all other forms of freedom
Stem from the first right,
To change.
How much have I changed is perhaps the measure
Of how much I have approached freedom?
Or perhaps how much I haven’t?
How many little changes have I lived through?
How many big changes have I endured?
How many changes have I expressed?
The world will test me,
Over and over again,
And it will tell me sometimes
That I am free,
Sometimes,
That I am not.
But, how can I test myself?
I must remember to.
~Benjamin Cardozo
The world will test me,
Over and over again,
And it will tell me sometimes
That I am free,
Sometimes,
That I am not.
But, how can I test myself?
How can I test for freedom within?
The indispensable condition for freedom
Is change, freedom of change,
Freedom to change and freedom from change.
Nearly all other forms of freedom
Stem from the first right,
To change.
How much have I changed is perhaps the measure
Of how much I have approached freedom?
Or perhaps how much I haven’t?
How many little changes have I lived through?
How many big changes have I endured?
How many changes have I expressed?
The world will test me,
Over and over again,
And it will tell me sometimes
That I am free,
Sometimes,
That I am not.
But, how can I test myself?
I must remember to.
No comments:
Post a Comment