The Laws of Me

“I, a stranger and afraid
In a world I never made.”
~A.E. Housman
 
The Laws of Me
The laws of God, the laws of Man,
The laws of Me, the laws of You.
How to follow all the laws
If some agree and some contradict?
How to decide which to keep,
Which will and can and be
For the good of me and he and she?
Could God be wrong, I doubt,
But he left blanks to be filled.
And Man decrees he knows what’s best
For me and you and he and she,
But when Man judges and condemns,
I do not know who’s at the Helm.
And how am I to face the odds
Of Man’s bedevilment or God’s?
I, a resident and awake
In a world I want to make.
But will they let me,
Will they fear,
Will they want me even near?
Will they let me be right or wrong,
Will they let me be sometimes,
Foolish, sometimes, strong?
And You, my dear, what do you think?
The laws of You, I’ve yet to read or hear.
Are you awake like me, with drive,
To make the world instead of cry?
We are not strangers, you and me,
We should not fear, we should unite.
We can and should do and do, and do,
And do, and do, and do, and participate,
In making this world a better place.
And since, our souls, are of this Earth,
Not of Mars or Jupiter or gold,
Keep we must, when keep we can,
These laws of God and laws of Man.
And since, our souls, are of this Earth,
Nice to meet you, let me say,
The only Law of Me to know
Is Do Good every way you can;
I try to Do Good every way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment